University of Alaska Internship

This blog is to account for a 2 week internship to be served at the Centre of Distance Education (CDE), University of Alaska, Fairbanks. This internship has been greatly supported by CDE & participants are Anare Tuitoga, Neelam Narayan and Alanieta Lesuma-Fatiaki.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Show & Tell - Social Software: Using Blogs



As a follow up to our internship experience at CDE, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, we decided to share with our DFLSC collegues our experiences with the use of blogs during the show & tell segment of the OPS Meeting on August 15th.
Anare began our show and tell with a ppt. presenation on the following:
  • What is Social Software?
  • Blogs defined
  • Advantages of using blogs
  • Primary uses of blogs
Ala then went share some experiences of blogging during our internship at CDE.

We would like to acknowledge Chris Lott & CDE for our presentation because most of the content was derived from the teaching tips wiki page on the use of blogs.

CDE has a revamped website and it is just excellent!!!! Love it!!! Great work by the
project team!!!

As well as wikipedia for the following resources:
Definition of social software
Types of social software

For more reading, here is an article on the future of blogging by CNET news

Would also like to acknowledge our missing Alaska 3 collegue; Neelam who is away on annual leave who also contributed to this presentation.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger dlh_downunder said…

    Hi Anare & Ala - remember me from my visit with Curt to USP? Great to see you are following up on your blog! How about having a look at my teaching blog where I have links to my students' blogs & webquests & online projects:
    http://lifentheuniverse.blogspot.com/
    You will laugh when I tell you that I am going to Fairbanks this December to visit the CDE & do a similar trip to yours?! What hints & advice can you give me? 8-P

    -Debra-

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Ala Lesuma-Fatiaki said…

    Hi Debra,

    So good to hear from you. Yes, we definitely remember you! I am glad to hear that you will be going to Alaska next month! I think its a really special time to visit Alaska. It is the highlight of my life to date I can say that! am assuming that the CDE crew will be providing warm wear; mittens, etc. as they did us but if not then of course you probably know that you will have to stock up on warm clothing(jeans,parkas etc.) given that its winter. Taking a slice of your first aid kit may be handy too; panadol,vicks just in case..Where will you be accomodated? Springfield Marriot? Your going, is really bringing back a lot of wonderful memories of Fairbanks, Alaska! I hope you do get a glimpse of the Northern Lights. We were unfortunate in not witnessing this great sight!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Ala Lesuma-Fatiaki said…

    Debra,

    I will have a look at your teaching blog. I have very interested in learning more about using blogs as a learning tool.

     
  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger dlh_downunder said…

    Hi ala, yes - Curt's told me that they'll do a loner for me :-) I have some warm stuff from skiing trips, so I'll bring that - & i always carry my 1st aid kit wherever I go :-) Thanks for the reminder!
    Re teaching using blogs, if you give me your email address, (or I could look it up on the USP site I guess)i'll send you a paper I'm giving at ASCILITE in December (on my way to Fairbanks) about that very thing. This is my main area of interest & research at the moment - social networking software for teaching & learning & the changes in roles & the intercultural aspects. We should talk more on this ...
    BTW - where is Carole Hunter these days?

    -Debra-

     

Post a Comment

<< Home